Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mexican Bush Sage (Salvia leucantha) -- Has anyone ever successfully grown this plant in heavy clay, or...?

... where there's an occasional water level of 10' below ground surface (after some occasional, unnusual, heavy rains)?





We have both circumstances,


yet we'd really like to have a Mexican Bush Sage,


if possible!





Any knowledgeable / experienced suggestions?


(As I suspect it is a problem, since they 'like' good drainage.)

Mexican Bush Sage (Salvia leucantha) -- Has anyone ever successfully grown this plant in heavy clay, or...?
I grew Mexican bush sage at my home in Fairfield, CA. where I had heavy clay soil and about 25" of rain each year. My husband just raised the flower bed about 6" but I still had partly clay soil but it did help for drainage; I just added a little extra potting soil and put coffee grounds and egg shells in the soil to break up the clay. My two bushes grew about 4 feet wide and as tall. Go for it.
Reply:Our old house had very heavy clay (couldn't even dig one shovel depth down because it was so compact) and we had trouble with Salvia and Lavandula. The soil eventually did break down after tons and tons of compost but in the end, we mounded the garden up and that was much better for us and the plants.





So, I would suggest adding mulch to your garden twice a year. Mound up the areas where you can, especially where the Salvia will be. Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment